On March 3, the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision published a long-awaited consultative document on its new standardised measurement approach (SMA) to operational risk.
In light of well-documented problems with the advanced measurement approach (AMA), the Basel Committee proposes some radical and ill-conceived reforms. It would replace the AMA – the own-models approach to operational risk used by more sophisticated banks – with a simplistic metric for regulatory capital. Broadly, that
- Bank risk manager of the year: UBS
- People moves: Asia hires at Credit Suisse, new UBS data role, NatWest takes UBS's Duclos, and more
- Asia moves: BlackRock picks new Asia head, Credit Suisse boosts regional solutions, and more
- We need a different approach to supervisory stress-testing
- Risk solutions house of the year: HSBC