"Those who can't, do research," goes the adage, a twist on George Bernard Shaw's famous quip on the failures of academia.
The founders of AQR Capital Management - Cliff Asness, David Kabiller, Robert Krail and John Liew - beg to differ.
Asness, Krail and Liew toiled away in the ivory towers of academia before putting their theories into practice with phenomenal results in the trenches of Goldman Sachs' proprietary trading division.
Even now AQR sees the academic world as a hotbed for ideas that
- Asia moves: BlackRock picks new Asia head, Credit Suisse boosts regional solutions, and more
- Bank risk manager of the year: UBS
- We need a different approach to supervisory stress-testing
- People moves: Asia hires at Credit Suisse, new UBS data role, NatWest takes UBS's Duclos, and more
- Risk solutions house of the year: HSBC