Judgement and experience are critical. The first judgement is whether the illiquid securities are appropriate for the liabilities under management. If managing a fund that provides monthly or quarterly redemptions to clients, then having illiquid securities can pose a major problem if redemptions occur.
In bull markets there can be apparent liquidity for many types of securities which will become extremely illiquid in an adverse market. Experiencing the illiquidity of a bear market is really the
- Brexit novations ‘on hold’ to gain reg relief
- People moves: Bank of America names new Apac chiefs, Wilkinson leaves LGIM, Lloyds loses Coutte, and more
- Mifid data publishers drag feet on Esma guidelines
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Sefs, Libor fallbacks and risk governance in Asia