New Star's Capital Guaranteed Hedge Fund has come within a few basis points of breaching its guarantee threshold and has subsequently moved 100% into cash, just one year after its launch.
The guarantee on the $170m UK long/short fund meant assets could fall 15% before the manager, Alan Miller, would have to take steps to protect capital. However, due to falling interest rates and bond yields, the amount by which the fund could fall moved to just 9%.
Over the course of the year, the fund has
- Brexit novations ‘on hold’ to gain reg relief
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- People moves: Bank of America names new Apac chiefs, Wilkinson leaves LGIM, Lloyds loses Coutte, and more
- Mifid data publishers drag feet on Esma guidelines