Analysts have criticised the findings of two economists at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (Unctad), who claim the withdrawal of banks from commodity markets has driven down the correlation between commodities and other asset classes.
“To say that banks exiting creates a decorrelation doesn’t make any sense to me,” says Michael Haigh, New York-based global head of commodities research at Societe Generale Corporate & Investment Banking (SG CIB). “The only type of individual
- People moves: SocGen adds in prime services, Deutsche fills new rates hole, HSBC makes model move, and more
- Credit risk quants are hitting the tech gap
- Princeton tops inaugural Risk.net quant master’s ranking
- Does credit risk need an expected shortfall-style revamp?
- Teach history to avoid mistakes of yesterday’s quants