Philanthropy is rarely an innovator in capitalism but it is sometimes a by-product. In the case of global reinsurer Swiss Re, the attention of the panel was captured by the ability of its environmental and commodities markets (ECM) arm to combine these two philosophies, leading to it once again being voted Weather House of the Year for 2008.
Two initiatives stand out in particular. The first is the ECM group's expansion of its affordable weather insurance scheme for smallholder farmers in India
- Asia moves: Natixis sales head moves to Barclays, new banking head for StanChart Singapore, and more
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Banks use machine learning to ‘augment’ corporate sales
- Buy-siders eye ways to get ahead of US resolution stay rules