In years past, the chief risk officer (CRO) was stereotyped as an insurer's resident naysayer. The person who said ‘no' to business initiatives and acted as a roadblock to innovation. At MassMutual, CRO Elizabeth Ward favours a more conciliatory approach, one where she is recast as facilitator rather than failsafe.
"We're not just saying no. We're trying to help the business figure out how it can take that initiative. That's what I think the philosophy needs to be."
Working in this way helps
- Brexit novations ‘on hold’ to gain reg relief
- People moves: Bank of America names new Apac chiefs, Wilkinson leaves LGIM, Lloyds loses Coutte, and more
- Mifid data publishers drag feet on Esma guidelines
- Sefs, Libor fallbacks and risk governance in Asia
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden