UK G-Sibs add $11trn of OTC notionals in 2018

The three UK global systemically important banks expanded their swaps portfolios by 17% in notionals in 2018, to their highest level since 2014.

Total derivatives notionals reported by Barclays, HSBC and Standard Chartered stood at $76 trillion at end-December, an increase of $11 trillion year-on-year.

Of this amount, cleared derivatives positions accounted for 59% of the total, or $45 trillion, while bilateral notionals made up the remaining 41%, or $31 trillion.

HSBC added the most

Only users who have a paid subscription or are part of a corporate subscription are able to print or copy content.

To access these options, along with all other subscription benefits, please contact or view our subscription options here:

You are currently unable to copy this content. Please contact to find out more.

Sorry, our subscription options are not loading right now

Please try again later. Get in touch with our customer services team if this issue persists.

New to View our subscription options

If you already have an account, please sign in here.

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account here