Q1. How would you respond to Nassim Taleb’s assertion that due to black swan events, current risk management practices can be worse than useless in that it may be either misleading or give you a false sense of security?
In many ways I agree with this assertion, especially for the many companies where risk management is synonymous with value-at-risk – even more so if the implementation of VAR is just a simple analytic or a delta VAR calculation, which in the majority of cases it is. This type of
The week on Risk.net, October 6-12, 2017Receive this by email
- Quantile, TriOptima face off in cleared swaps compression battle
- Leaked EU doc could shield legacy swaps from clearing grab
- ABS set for revival under US Treasury’s liquidity buffer plans
- SGX, HKEX expect to be among first wave of Mifid II equivalence
- Industry hails potential US relaxation of margin timing rules