Private equity firm buys into Refco

Refco is a major broker of commodity derivatives, foreign exchange contracts, government bonds, emerging market debt and is also one of the world's largest clearing firms for derivatives.

Refco has not divulged the financial terms of the deal, although the broker did say the transaction values the company at approximately $2.25 billion. THL is taking a 57% stake, leaving Phillip Bennett, Refco’s chief executive, with the remaining 43% stake.

Robert Mercorella, Refco’s New York-based senior vice

Only users who have a paid subscription or are part of a corporate subscription are able to print or copy content.

To access these options, along with all other subscription benefits, please contact or view our subscription options here:

You are currently unable to copy this content. Please contact to find out more.

Sorry, our subscription options are not loading right now

Please try again later. Get in touch with our customer services team if this issue persists.

New to View our subscription options

If you already have an account, please sign in here.


Want to know what’s included in our free registration? Click here

This address will be used to create your account

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account here