Asia Risk: The Basel Committee is currently reviewing its approach to risk-weighted assets (RWAs) – is the present approach conceptually valid?
Paul Harrald *: Conceptually valid, yes, but in practice there are plainly difficulties. Currently we have the situation where two separate banks could assign very different RWAs to the same portfolio even with identical risk management practices. There has been the insinuation that this is evidence of “gaming”, but it need not be. For example, there has
- People moves: SocGen adds in prime services, Deutsche fills new rates hole, HSBC makes model move, and more
- Quant Finance Master’s Guide 2019
- Credit risk quants are hitting the tech gap
- Princeton tops inaugural Risk.net quant master’s ranking
- Does credit risk need an expected shortfall-style revamp?