There is a long history of municipalities using complex derivatives without necessarily having a complete understanding of the risks involved - just think of the losses reported by Orange County in the US or the London borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. But while some have been caught off guard, others have developed sophisticated risk management functions that govern their use of derivatives.
Indeed, the Orlando-based Florida Municipal Power Agency (FMPA) has demonstrated that a conservative
- People moves: SocGen adds in prime services, Deutsche fills new rates hole, HSBC makes model move, and more
- Credit risk quants are hitting the tech gap
- Princeton tops inaugural Risk.net quant master’s ranking
- Does credit risk need an expected shortfall-style revamp?
- Teach history to avoid mistakes of yesterday’s quants