The lure of distressed debt strategies is easy to understand given current market conditions. These funds buy debt trading at a discount because the borrower is at risk of defaulting and they aim to profit from a successful restructuring or turnaround of the company.
There is currently an abundance of opportunity to buy discounted debt securities. The corporate debt market has been badly hurt by the financial crisis. Bank debt is trading at historic lows due to balance sheet pressure and market
- Fund-linked structured products face extinction under FRTB
- Lack of buy-side repo backstop a concern – Citi repo head
- China Minsheng and SocGen team up for quant index product
- People moves: Barclays’ investment bank chief exits, Citi president to retire, Vos promoted at BNY Mellon, and more
- Banks rethink fund-linked trades ahead of FRTB