A Cayman Islands lawyer says the UK government's bill requiring disclosure of the beneficial owners of unlisted companies will do little to reduce tax avoidance and only end up hurting investment in the jurisdiction.
Hughie Wong, partner for Walkers, says the biggest problem with the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill, currently making its way through the House of Commons, is that it may prove to be a unilateral move.
"This regime [outlined in the bill] only works if everyone uses it
- Brexit novations ‘on hold’ to gain reg relief
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- People moves: Bank of America names new Apac chiefs, Wilkinson leaves LGIM, Lloyds loses Coutte, and more
- Mifid data publishers drag feet on Esma guidelines