Ucits established itself as the gold standard for retail European investment vehicles, then the international brand moved rather uneasily into alternatives. Hedge funds first started using the Ucits wrapper in earnest after the financial crisis when many investors wanted onshore, regulated vehicles.
In terms of regulatory protection for investors and marketability for fund managers, Ucits was perfect. Its uptake in the hedge fund world has grown since then, although there are some question marks
- Banks rethink fund-linked trades ahead of FRTB
- People moves: Barclays’ investment bank chief exits, Citi president to retire, Vos promoted at BNY Mellon, and more
- Fund-linked structured products face extinction under FRTB
- Banks grapple with social media risk
- China Minsheng and SocGen team up for quant index product