Demonised and misunderstood by a wide range of people, including politicans, the hedge fund community has taken a great deal of abuse in 2008 and 2009. Blamed for the financial crisis, manipulating markets and using shorting to destroy the banking system, all that was left was to blame swine flu on the industry and the hate factor would have leapt even higher.
The industry, however, is not taking the abuse lying down. The ‘secretive’ funds are standing up to defend an industry they believe adds
- Asia moves: Natixis sales head moves to Barclays, new banking head for StanChart Singapore, and more
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- Banks use machine learning to ‘augment’ corporate sales
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Buy-siders eye ways to get ahead of US resolution stay rules