There are quite a number of necessary skills to master in order to be successful in shorting: in-depth, fundamental company analysis; independent thinking and judgement; a keen appreciation of and respect for the power of an occasionally irrational market; good risk management/money management skills; and the ability to admit that you are wrong and move on to the next opportunity.
First and foremost among the skills is the ability to figure out when the target company will have its "date with
- Regulators to scrutinise CCP default auctions
- People moves: Bank of America names new Apac chiefs, Wilkinson leaves LGIM, Lloyds loses Coutte, and more
- Sefs, Libor fallbacks and risk governance in Asia
- VAR surges, revenues tank at French banks hurt by volatility
- A rush on Libor fallbacks to head off holdouts