Reinsurers are playing a growing role helping insurers cut capital requirements under Solvency II, particularly when it comes to using the directive’s complex matching adjustment (MA) rules, which reduce capital for portfolios of assets and liabilities that have matching cashflows.
As insurers seek to squeeze maximum benefit from the adjustment, reinsurers are carving out a new business in which they cover cashflow mismatches, thus extending the benefits of the MA.
“Insurers have spent [the
- People moves: SocGen adds in prime services, Deutsche fills new rates hole, HSBC makes model move, and more
- Credit risk quants are hitting the tech gap
- Princeton tops inaugural Risk.net quant master’s ranking
- Does credit risk need an expected shortfall-style revamp?
- Teach history to avoid mistakes of yesterday’s quants