US Federal Reserve governor Lael Brainard has urged banks to tread carefully when using machine learning (ML) techniques, which have become notorious for generating conclusions that are difficult to decipher, if not outright opaque.
Speaking at a fintech conference in Philadelphia, she singled out consumer lending as an area where understanding how ML models work is critical. “One area where the risks may be particularly acute is the consumer space generally, and consumer lending in particular,
- Asia moves: BlackRock picks new Asia head, Credit Suisse boosts regional solutions, and more
- We need a different approach to supervisory stress-testing
- Bank risk manager of the year: UBS
- People moves: Asia hires at Credit Suisse, new UBS data role, NatWest takes UBS's Duclos, and more
- Risk solutions house of the year: HSBC