The bluntness of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision’s revised approach to calculating operational risk capital could leave banks undercapitalised against a rise in future losses from cyber attacks, risk managers at Asia-Pacific banks fear. Some even argue the new method could disincentivise banks to quantify such exposures.
One of the major determinants of a bank’s op risk capital under the standardised measurement approach (SMA) is its losses from past op risk breaches. Yet with
- Bank risk manager of the year: UBS
- People moves: Asia hires at Credit Suisse, new UBS data role, NatWest takes UBS's Duclos, and more
- Asia moves: BlackRock picks new Asia head, Credit Suisse boosts regional solutions, and more
- We need a different approach to supervisory stress-testing
- Risk solutions house of the year: HSBC