Porsche makes €6.83bn on VW options

This was an even higher result than the previous business year, when it made €3.59 billion on options.

The gains on options represent a large proportion of the overall profit of the Porsche Group for the year, which was €8.6 billion for 2007/08 as compared to €5.86 billion for 2006/07.

"The above-average jump in profit was again due to special influences in connection with the holdings in Volkswagen," Porsche said in a statement.

It is believed Porsche's disclosures on October 26 about the amount of cash-settled options it held contributed to price volatility of Volkswagen's shares after they quadrupled in value and then fell by almost half over a three-day period. Volkswagen's equity price rose to €1005.01 on October 28 from €210.52 on October 24. It then plummeted back down again to close at €512 on October 29.

Porsche announced on October 26 that it held 42.6% of ordinary shares and 31.5% in cash-settled options on ordinary shares to hedge against price risks, representing an effective total stake of 74.1% in Volkswagen. This was more than the 35.14% shareholding Porsche had disclosed on September 16.

The surge in Volkswagen's share price is widely attributed to short sellers trying to close out their positions from a smaller pool of shares than they previously thought were available.

The German financial regulator, BaFin, launched a formal investigation last week into market manipulation of Volkswagen's shares and said the probe could lead to administrative or criminal sanctions.

See also: German regulator investigates Volkswagen shares manipulation
Porsche attributes bumper profits to options trades
Corporate profile: Cautious Porsche

Only users who have a paid subscription or are part of a corporate subscription are able to print or copy content.

To access these options, along with all other subscription benefits, please contact info@risk.net or view our subscription options here: http://subscriptions.risk.net/subscribe

You are currently unable to copy this content. Please contact info@risk.net to find out more.

Smarter trading in a fragmented world

FX Week recently hosted a webinar in partnership with Refinitiv to ask foreign exchange industry leaders to discuss geopolitical challenges, market changes and developments, and evolving technologies, and how they have shaped forex markets in Asia

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a Risk.net account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account here