With the largest dealers now required to post initial margin on non-cleared derivatives trades, the hunt is on for ways to optimise the amount of collateral they post.
An effective – but complex – method that is gaining traction sees banks split an equity or commodity index into its constituent parts for the purposes of the margin calculation, which allows for greater netting and can reduce initial margin requirements for the positions by nearly half in some cases.
“If you don’t decompose the
- Bank risk manager of the year: UBS
- People moves: Asia hires at Credit Suisse, new UBS data role, NatWest takes UBS's Duclos, and more
- Asia moves: BlackRock picks new Asia head, Credit Suisse boosts regional solutions, and more
- We need a different approach to supervisory stress-testing
- Risk solutions house of the year: HSBC