The revelation in February that the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision was considering scrapping the use of value-at-risk as the basis for modelling market risk capital was the most viewed story on Risk.net in 2012. The committee eventually released its long-awaited review of trading book rules in May - and, as anticipated, suggested expected shortfall as an alternative measure, as detailed in a follow-up article, which itself was the fourth most read story of the year.
The Basel capital
- Bank risk manager of the year: UBS
- People moves: Asia hires at Credit Suisse, new UBS data role, NatWest takes UBS's Duclos, and more
- Asia moves: BlackRock picks new Asia head, Credit Suisse boosts regional solutions, and more
- Risk solutions house of the year: HSBC
- We need a different approach to supervisory stress-testing