Low volatility in the European coal market is leading to increased trading in financial coal, as commodity trading houses and hedge funds take on bigger positions in pursuit of returns, say market participants.
London-based Prospex Research estimates the financial coal market is on track to grow by 30% in 2014, reaching a record volume of 3,800 million tonnes. Such a rise would come on top of a similar increase of 32% in 2013.
Despite lacklustre prices, a variety of companies are increasing
- Asia moves: Natixis sales head moves to Barclays, new banking head for StanChart Singapore, and more
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- Banks use machine learning to ‘augment’ corporate sales
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Buy-siders eye ways to get ahead of US resolution stay rules