When variable annuities (VAs) were launched in Europe before the financial crisis the market never really took off, due to issues over hedging.
Société Générale has developed a cost-effective hedging solution which it believes will open up the VA market in Europe. The solution is based on a technique developed for Dai Ichi Frontier Life (DFL), one of the top issuers of VAs in Japan. In 2010 it asked Soc Gen to design a solution to allow it to continue to develop its VA business while getting
- Regulators to scrutinise CCP default auctions
- People moves: Bank of America names new Apac chiefs, Wilkinson leaves LGIM, Lloyds loses Coutte, and more
- Sefs, Libor fallbacks and risk governance in Asia
- VAR surges, revenues tank at French banks hurt by volatility
- A rush on Libor fallbacks to head off holdouts