It's a tough time to be a minnow in insurance. The challenging economic climate makes this the age of the big fish – those able to withstand the dual pressures of a squeeze on investment returns and an increasing regulatory capital burden. It's also better to be big and nimble rather than big and clunky. With capital and liquidity at a premium there is no room for dead weight in the business, and companies unable to streamline effectively are liable to starve themselves of resources before long.
- Asia moves: Natixis sales head moves to Barclays, new banking head for StanChart Singapore, and more
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Banks use machine learning to ‘augment’ corporate sales
- Buy-siders eye ways to get ahead of US resolution stay rules