Gabriel Bernardino, chairman of the European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (Eiopa), says supervisors need to be "careful" about encouraging long-term investment by insurance companies.
Speaking at Insurance Europe's conference in Malta on June 12, Bernardino warned that capital charges and other constraints on investment in illiquid securities such as infrastructure and corporate loans had to be tailored with insurers' liabilities in mind.
"I see it as positive that the insurance
- Brexit novations ‘on hold’ to gain reg relief
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- People moves: Bank of America names new Apac chiefs, Wilkinson leaves LGIM, Lloyds loses Coutte, and more
- Mifid data publishers drag feet on Esma guidelines