UK banks on course for Basel II

The research found that 86 percent of the 55 banks surveyed set up Basel II programmes in the last three years. The remaining 14 percent still do not have programmes in place.

The survey also revealed that two thirds of respondents were prepared to purchase software and consultancy services to ensure compliance with Basel II.

However, David Porter, head of financial services risk at Detica, believes firms need to improve their risk data quality. “Having robust processes for data management is immaterial if the data being managed is inconsistent, incomplete or poor quality,” he said. “As a worse case scenario, this could delay or even jeopardise compliance by the early 2007 deadline.”

“The sheer scale and complexity of the [Basel II] Accord means that getting data collection and management right early on is critical to the overall success of the compliance projects,” Porter

Only users who have a paid subscription or are part of a corporate subscription are able to print or copy content.

To access these options, along with all other subscription benefits, please contact or view our subscription options here:

You are currently unable to copy this content. Please contact to find out more.

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account here