New Jersey-based NRG Energy is taking a very bullish bet on natural gas prices with its recently agreed purchase of power producer Texas Genco, says Hugh Welton, senior director in the global power group at Fitch Ratings. NRG may well benefit substantially from the deal, mainly due to the high profit margins for coal- and nuclear-fired generation at present, but the purchase is certainly not without risk, he says.
While much of Texas Genco's forward generating capacity is hedged,
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- Asia moves: Natixis sales head moves to Barclays, new banking head for StanChart Singapore, and more
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Banks use machine learning to ‘augment’ corporate sales
- Buy-siders eye ways to get ahead of US resolution stay rules