UK inflation looks set to reach nearly 3% by the end of 2017, according to estimates from Fitch Ratings – a disquieting prospect for UK insurers that sell bulk annuities and have to hedge big books of inflation-linked liabilities.
While inflation risk is not explicitly recognised within Solvency II's standard model, the expectation is that insurers using an internal model will hold capital against the risk of an increase.
At the same time, close matching of assets and liabilities to enable firms
- Banks hope final FRTB rules will ease NMRF burden
- Functional programming reaches for stardom in finance
- Asia moves: Natixis sales head moves to Barclays, new banking head for StanChart Singapore, and more
- Buy-siders eye ways to get ahead of US resolution stay rules
- Brexit novations ‘on hold’ to gain reg relief