A panel-debate style forum moderated by Risk's Nick Sawyer on settlement risk in the foreign exchange marketplace.
Moderated by Nick Sawyer, editor, Risk magazine
1. Is settlement risk less of an issue for the market now?
2. Rachael, have you seen a significant increase in firms signing up to the CLS?
3. Historically, the process of getting third parties on board has been slow. Is there anything the industry and CLS can do to speed up the process?
4. Do you see the market moving towards a two-tier pricing system?
5. You've mentioned the effort to get more second-tier banks on board. Is there also an active programme for increasing end-user membership?
6. Peter, what is the approach at Deutsche Bank?
7. Martin, is that a similar experience you've had at Credit Suisse - there's a huge pipeline for third-party sign-ups?
8. An obvious next step will to be to include more currencies in the CLS system. How was the experience post-Lehman of those currencies within CLS and those outside of the system, as well as some of the difficulties surrounding the emerging market currencies during that period?
9. Rachel, could you give an overview of where things currently stand in terms of widening the universe of currencies?
10. Would the drive to add new currencies and members be helped by a greater regulatory push?
11. There has been a lot of discussion on central clearing, including of forex contracts. Would the market be better served by less focus on central clearing and more on settlement risk?
12. Is there anything banks can do internally to eliminate settlement risk that goes between client accounts or between different subsidiaries within their own institution? The FX JSC report makes reference to aggregation services and netting. What is the status of other initiatives the industry is working on?
13. In summing up, is it fair to say the industry is pleased with the way the market performed during the post-Lehman fallout last year but recognises more work needs to be done?
More on Settlement Risk
RMB volumes set for growth but settlement remains an issue
Working with banks and CCPs to facilitate central clearing of OTC forex options is 'high priority strategic initiative' for CLS this year, says chief executive David Puth
Divide and rule
Speaking at the FX Invest West Coast conference, the New York Fed's Jeanmarie Davis addressed the challenges associated with clearing and settlement of forex options
Sign up for Risk.net email alerts
Sponsored video: MarketAxess
Sponsored video: Tradeweb
Multifonds talks to Custody Risk on being nominated for the Post-Trade Technology Vendor of the Year at the Custody Risk Awards 2014
Sponsored webinar: IBM Risk Analytics
There are no comments submitted yet. Do you have an interesting opinion? Then be the first to post a comment.